Friday, March 03, 2006

Integrity

1. integrity

Pronunciation: in-'te-gr&-tE
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English integrite, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French integrité, from Latin integritat-, integritas, from integr-, integer entire
1 : firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : INCORRUPTIBILITY
2 : an unimpaired condition : SOUNDNESS
3 : the quality or state of being complete or undivided : COMPLETENESS
synonym see HONESTY

Am I wrong in being sad that this was Merriam-Webster's Most Looked Up Word of 2005? I'm just going to pretend everyone was looking for synonyms...

2 comments:

Chris said...

Again I say: hurrrr. I heard some deejay on 98 Rock say almost the same thing... two months ago.

I bet it's not because people are specifically ethically challenged, but because the easiest way to start a boring speech is to say "What does integrity really mean? Webster's..."

jhaddock said...

It's just that it's a pretty common word for so many people to have to look up that it would make it the most looked-up word. The other words on the list I could at least understand being there, but not this one...