I think i'm with Een on this one...I see shit like this on slashdot every day, and honestly, i don't really care if apple knows what i listen to. There was a big thing with TiVos "phoning home" a while back, and the same uproar was created. I dunno, i honestly don't care if some tivo employee knows i watch Lost or not. The only thing that changes is that the ads/sales you get are a little more directed...and honestly, is that a bad thing? I mean, people don't complain when you rate things on netflix based on your ratings of stuff...other than it being done automatically, how is it different?
I mean, other than the fact that they don't tell you they're doing it, after all...
I don't particularly think my listening habits are particularly sensitive information. The sneaky part is that this kind of data, aggregated across (tens of? hundreds of?) thousands of users, is marketing gold. I mean, there are entire companies dedicated to this kind of research. I'm on an old iTunes version at home anyway because upgrading made it no longer recognize my iPod, but it seems kind of opportunistic of Apple.
I don't think they were outright being evil -- it's just a nice side benefit to this ministore thing.
4 comments:
I think i'm with Een on this one...I see shit like this on slashdot every day, and honestly, i don't really care if apple knows what i listen to. There was a big thing with TiVos "phoning home" a while back, and the same uproar was created. I dunno, i honestly don't care if some tivo employee knows i watch Lost or not. The only thing that changes is that the ads/sales you get are a little more directed...and honestly, is that a bad thing? I mean, people don't complain when you rate things on netflix based on your ratings of stuff...other than it being done automatically, how is it different?
I mean, other than the fact that they don't tell you they're doing it, after all...
I don't particularly think my listening habits are particularly sensitive information. The sneaky part is that this kind of data, aggregated across (tens of? hundreds of?) thousands of users, is marketing gold. I mean, there are entire companies dedicated to this kind of research. I'm on an old iTunes version at home anyway because upgrading made it no longer recognize my iPod, but it seems kind of opportunistic of Apple.
I don't think they were outright being evil -- it's just a nice side benefit to this ministore thing.
Feez, as someone who never purchases things, what do you care if your advertisments are more focused?
Well, i mean, i'm saying that if i did, i probably still wouldn't care.
Post a Comment