Thursday, September 09, 2004

garden state

exerpt from zach brafsftzfs' new screenplay

EXT. ABYSS. RAINY EVENING.

Alfred scales an old crane. He lets the rain WASH over him (get it? Wash? It is cleansing him). He screams loudly into the bottomless hole below (the hole is a metaphor, see? It's almost like he is screaming into the depths of his charred, black soul. The Shins swell on the soundtrack. I love that band. Fuck, did I just write that? Huh. Oh well. I am Zach fuckin' Brafsftzfs. No one can touch me.

2 comments:

jhaddock said...

I think the best part of that scene is the cheesy exchange between him and the pitmaster just moments before that. Yeah, that scene definitely could have used some... um... softening?

Chris said...

Scenes I enjoyed: opening, in the plane. I was convinced that the movie was going to be a optimistic take on American Beauty, or maybe an optimistic rip-off. The party also worked well. Natalie pulling out a helmet without explaining why. The alligator. (Too bad it didn't really mean anything.) His trip to her house.

Scenes I was unsure about: Zach 'n Natalie in the tub. Liked the beginning of it, sort of like her catching his tear (had this odd feeling I had seen this done before in a movie, but couldn't remember where). The story about his mother melted into:

Scenes I didn't like: long deep conversations between Zach and Natalie... the only long deep conversation I have ever really liked in a movie is towards the end of Adaptation, even though I know it was probably meant to be a mockery. Aforementioned script. The ending. Natalie's family on the couch obviously reacting to something that isn't actually on TV.